October: Muggle Studies

Dear Professor Fenwick, 

Today's lesson was somewhat difficult for me. My family is something of a tricky subject and I really struggle with talking about it… But we’ll start with the easy questions first, I guess. 


I believe a muggle is someone that doesn’t have any magical abilities at all. As far as the theory of creation of magic, I haven’t really thought about it much. But now that I’m thinking about it more, I believe that there has always been magic in the world, but that it hasn’t always been known. Someone maybe preserved it for years and years and they hid in small areas, like the witches in Salem, and then maybe eventually they realized there were other people like them and that maybe they created their own world like places in Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley, then schools popped up all around the world. 


My family tree is mostly pure-bloods. There are a few half-bloods and such but… mostly it is a bit complicated. There have been some people that have married Muggles and even a couple of Squibs, but the main point of my family tree is that we aren’t all what you would call… good wizards and witches. 


My father specifically… he killed my mother in front of me. He was sent to Azkaban… and then my uncle Mark adopted me when I was nine. He is a wizard who works as an Auror with the Ministry of Magic. He’s married to Tala, who’s a witch that works as a healer at St. Mungo’s. I was really lucky to be able to get adopted by them, and I really love them both like them like my real parents. A lot of people in my birth father’s side of the family were Slytherins and… not good wizards. I was surprised to get sorted into Gryffindor, but I guess the hat knew I was more like Mark, than my father Joe. I guess that’s a good thing, but really I try not to judge anyone based on their family history… I don’t mind my blood-status of being a pure-blood, but it makes me curious about how Muggles live, and makes me kind of wish that I was one sometimes ‘cause maybe it would be less dangerous. I don’t know… 


I think the difference between a squib and a muggle is that a Muggle has no magical abilities, and neither do their parents. Squibs are born to wizarding parents, but they have no magical skills or anything.


Like I said before, I’m still not so sure how I feel about my family tree. With how my father was… I really keep being haunted by his and others’ mistakes. It’s almost like the ghosts of the past just keep showing up and telling me that I’m gonna be a failure just like them… I just.. really hope they’re wrong. I want to start our own family branch and make it better than the previous ones. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September: Potions

Introduction: Ben Coletti

Defence Against the Dark Arts - Practicing Riddikulus